Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Peaceful Moments

Oh Jesus, this is terrible.
I'm so at peace with the world I can't even muster up enough rage to squeeze out another Ranting Matter blog. What is this blasphemy?
But I suppose since I feel this way, I could write something...positive.

*deep breath*

I guess I'll share a few things that could add a bit more peace and calm to your weary heads. Surprisingly, the ones I'm going to provide aren't violent or malicious at all. They actually sound like some crap you'd see on an AOL article titled: "Stressed? __ Ways To Relieve It Instantly". 


Don't forget the stock image of someone enjoying life more than you.

But yeah, let's just get this out of the way.

1. Light Some Candles
A lot of them. In a safe place, preferably. I personally LOVE CANDLES DAMMIT. I love fire and things that smell good, and when they're put together into waxy goodness it's just hard to resist. My room always smells amazing. Why? Because I always have a few candles lit. Luckily enough for me, all the free-roaming animals in the house pretty much despise me so I don't have to worry about them running into my room and knocking stuff over. Anyway, the smell of the candles and the flickering light they produce can have a calming effect on the brain. If you turn the lights off you can also have the wonderful experience of living by candlelight. I like to paint by candlelight, because it makes me feel like Leonardo Da Vinci or some shit.

   FUCK YEAH.

2. Take A Bath
I get it. This is literally on EVERY list that has to do with making yourself calm/happy/stress-free, but that's because it's true. Pretend you're a mermaid, cry your eyes out, have a bubble bath, I don't really care, just be in the freakin' bathtub while you're at it. You'll feel cleaner afterwards and there's nothing like feeling fresh. Truly. Listen to any rap song if you don't trust me.

3. Go For A Walk During The Day
You do know that there's a world outside of your house right? You know, where animals and other human beings live? Nature and all the crap? It's pretty cool, and it beats sitting inside all day. Go take a nice walk and take your iPod with you if you want. Just get out of the house and around your neighborhood. And I know I'm going to sound like some douchebag from a 1970's safety TV program, but be safe out there. Maybe it's just because I'm paranoid as a mofo when it comes to getting kidnapped, but I like to be smart when I go out alone (keep a cell on me, know where I am, being aware of my surroundings, etc.). 

4. Sit Outside During The Night
I like to sit on my porch at night sometimes and let my senses take me away. There's something about the atmosphere at night...the stars, the trees, the air. I like to listen to everything around me, and it may be something you would enjoy too. Unless you live in the ghetto or something, where the only ambiance you have are people screaming and/or sirens and gunshots. But if you live in the country or suburbs it's especially peaceful outside at night. Be careful if you're a bit skittish like I am. When I'm out at night and I hear a weird noise, I immediately assume I'm going to get killed. As hilarious as it is to others, to me it can be a bit distracting from my relaxing experience. By the way, don't EVER go out at night after you've watched a horror movie or played a scary video game. If you are like me, you WILL assume that every sound/sight/feeling is your impending doom. 

5. Give Yourself A Comfortable Environment
In harsher terms: Clean your living space dammit. I've grown to be a very clean and organized person, and I feel much better when I'm in places that are arranged to my liking. Make your bed, re-decorate your room, get rid of some clutter, anything! You'll feel better and it will give you something to do aside of moping around.

6. Read
[Insert elaboration here].

So those are my six ways, I hope they help out a little.

To close the blog, I want to just add on this little thing that I just found. As some of you may know, I practice Buddhism and my mother is also a Buddhist. Our religion centers around finding peace within yourself and with others in the most positive way possible. I also like to study many other religions and I recently found an interesting article about Buddhism here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/scientist-inspired-by-dal_n_577601.html

But what I wanted to make a note of was this part that reminded me of one of the reasons that I love Buddhism so much:
"Davidson said the Dalai Lama's commitment to science is remarkable for a religious leader of his stature, and notes that the Dalai Lama has said he is prepared to give up any part of Buddhism that is contradicted by scientific fact."

Uh, awesome? How many other major religions are so open to science like that? Not many. So yeah, being a science nerd I thought it was really cool that the religion is boss like that. Speaking of Buddhism, engaging in meditation and other Buddhist practices can be a really good stress-reliever as well. ;P

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment